Resource & Building Consent Process: Initial Preparation

Building Consent _ Bilimoria Consulting LtdAre you thinking about your building project? Then there are some essential things that you should do. First and foremost thing that you should do is you must have a clear idea about what you actually wish to build & how much money it may cost. It would be helpful for you to write down your ideas, draw some of the preliminary sketches & take some photos, which will help you in explaining to others what you wish to do.

There are a lot of information about resource as well as building consent procedures. Read those information as much as possible and update yourself and understand its ins and outs in detail. You will find all these information that you want over the web. The information will enable you in understanding who you must see, all other information that you should collect and from where you may get more advice.

Your city council or local district is the main point of contact & there are several people you’ll have to deal with in the initial stage.

Customer service staff: These people can handle all the queries that you have in your mind and offer you with the guidance as well as information that you may be looking for. They can be supported by a skilled and qualified resource consent as well as the building control personnel.

Building control staff: Also known as building officials, these people are the ones who deal with particular queries about Building Act, Building Code and the building consent needs. They can process the application for building consent.

Resource consent staff: Mostly popular as consents officers or planning officers, they are the people who deal with particular queries regarding the RMA, resource consent needs and the local plans. They can process the application for the resource consent if you require one.

Experts : If you think your project to be a complicated one, you will most probably need the help of an expert. You may need to hire the services of a planner, architect, designer, surveyor, engineer or other experts like land development consultants in NZ who assists in preparing the resource as well as building consents applications. The local councils can give you the contact details of the professionals who may be able to help you in your initial preparations.

Things You Should Know Before Making a Submission About a Resource Consent

Resource consent consultant _ Bilimoria consulting LtdBefore making a submission, it is important that you understand what resource consent application or notice of requirement for a designation actually involves and how it can have an impact on you. The first step is thus to study these things in detail. You can do this at council offices.

Ensure that you completely understand what notice of requirement or resource consent application involves. Ask the council officers to explain you any part that you are unable to understand.

Study Assessment of Environmental Effects (AEE) attached to notice of requirement or the resource consent application. Each and every application needs to have the AEE because that’s going to tell you a lot about the negative as well as the positive environmental effects of activity and how negative effects can be minimized.

Think very carefully about the effect on you of activity requiring resource consent or designation. Do you really think that AEE’s description of likely effect is right or full> Do you think that the scale of likely effect is completely acceptable? Consider whether benefits of what’s being actually proposed outweigh your concerns about the adverse effects.

Refer to the regional or district plan. This can help you in getting a better understanding of some environmental issues, which the proposal might raise. It may even assist you in understanding what issues are basically likely to be relevant and what issues are not.

The district and the regional plans may be found at public libraries and relevant council offices. So, what you can do is ask the council officers to provide you a photocopy of the key parts of notice of requirement orĀ  application, including the descriptions of what is proposed and any drawings or plans. You may then take the material away to consider it and discuss about it with other individuals. You might even be asked to pay for it-thus check. Resource consent _ Bilimoria Consulting Ltd.

Have a talk to the individual applying for the resource consent or the requiring authority who has in fact placed a notice of requirement about what they wish to do, how it is going to affect you and how are they going to minimize the adverse affects on environment.

Your resource consent submission should identify what effect the proposed activity is going to have on you & why you oppose or support it. Study the notice of requirement or application, talk to a council staff and all other people who you think may be affected. This is going to help you identify matters to raise in the submission and avoid raising the matters, which aren’t relevant. The council may not be able to tell you whether or not to make the submission. In that case, you may want to take the advice of professional resource management consultants in NZ.

Seek Advice from Land Development Consultants in NZ to Ensure a Smooth Consenting Process

Land consent Consultants _ Bilimoria Consulting Ltd.Identifying the resource consents that are needed:

The first and foremost step to lodge for a resource consent is finding out the kinds of consents that are needed for the project, if any, and the kind of activity the project may be categorized as. This is basically determined by a regional or district plan. However, if you aren’t acquainted with any applicable plan, what you can do is take advice from any of the professional and expert land development consultants in NZ. The professional can help you identify the kind of resource consent needed under district plan and direct you to the other authorities that are relevant like the regional council that may even need consents.

For a smooth and efficient consenting process seek consultation: Several applications of resource consent can be processed without notifying the members of public. But if the proposal has chances of having a greater effect on environment, you will be required to think about the facts like whether people will be affected directly or whether public should be given a formal notification.

When there are affected parties, consider the consultation technique. While there isn’t any general obligation for consulting on the applications of resource consent, an AEE (Assessment of Environmental Effects) must include identification of parties affected by proposal, any kind of consultation that is undertaken and any kind of response to the opinions of any individual consulted.1 (1)

A professional and expert land development consultant will always approach all of your projects by:

  • Carefully listening to understand the requirements of the clients
  • Bringing the right mix of multi-disciplinary skills from the other firms
  • Ensuring that the projects of the clients will be environmentally and financially viable, inspiring, achievable and commercially successful
  • Fostering creative thoughts and exchanging ideas for coming up with innovative solutions
  • Offering clients with a planning solution to deliver the projects timely
  • Acting as a project manager at the time of formulation and the environmental reporting stages of the projects to improve the prospects for a successful outcome to consenting processes
  • Maximizing development potential for any site
  • Identifying the opportunities as well as risks to applying to any project
  • Maximizing risks though the process of consent
  • Developing a tactic, which identifies the constraints for obtaining the consent

How Can You Subdivide Your Property?

Land use consent consultants _ bilimoria consulting Ltd

Each parcel of the land in New Zealand has a separate title granted as well as guaranteed to the owner by Crown. Subdivision is a process of dividing the parcel of land into individual titles so that it may be sold separately from rest of the parcel. All the subdivisions need approval of the Council. This Council needs to control the subdivisions to ensure that each of the separate parcels of land is offered with all important services as well as access. This may only be done through conditions of the consent. There are different reasons of subdividing a property. It can be that your section is too big for your requirement or that you may want to own a farm, which is capable of being subdivided into the lifestyle blocks. The section can be re-zoned allowing you to subdivide the land now. The subdivision of land is basically controlled as well as restricted by several Acts. One of the most vital acts is the Resource Management Act of 1991. The Act actually brought planning as well as subdivision controls under a system. The impact of the Act is to prohibit all the subdivisions unless they are particularly allowed by a rule in the District Plan or by the resource consent. If you want to consider subdividing your property, you will have to get in touch with one of the subdivision consent consultants in NZ. The consultant must be an expert in this field for examining, first, whether subdivision is allowed and second whether it is feasible. This is going to involve searching a legal title to the property as well as examining the District Plan, which applies to the property. The process of subdivision is however lengthy. The following is the overview of the probable steps:

  • Getting a resource consent from the local council
  • Preparing a survey plan
  • Sealing of the plan by the local council
  • Lodging the subdivision plan with the Land Information New Zealand
  • Approval of plan by LINZ
  • Lodging new titles with Land Titles Office at Land Information New Zealand

An essential part of finding out whether the subdivision is allowed in your case is studying the relevant District Plan. This is going to reveal:

  • Zoning which apples to the land
  • Whether subdividing is actually a prohibited activity under the given plan and if it is not, then what kind of activity it is
  • What are the conditions that apply
  • What discretion will be council be able to exercise
  • Particular restrictions on subdivision

It is even likely that the District Plan may specify some areas for new subdivision lots. Most of the time, it will be important for you to get in touch with a planner or surveyor on this regard.